[Sussex] Moot talks

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Tue Mar 15 10:01:31 UTC 2011

Hi Gavin,

given the recent interest expressed in the command-line, I'm wondering
if there'd be any interest in a presentation along the lines of "Linux
as a developer's environment".

Basically, although we're all familiar with Linux as a desktop PC OS
with a fully-featured, compiz-enhanced desktop environment, my working
life is spent using a custom GUI designed entirely to make it quick &
easy to do a lot of collaborative command-line work, primarily with Perl
and Cobol. That places radically different demands on the interface, but
Linux's phenominal (but sometimes overlooked) flexibility means that it
can easily meet those demands.

So if there's any interest in it, I'd be happy to give an overview
covering topics such as the advantages of minimalist window managers;
usage of bash/xterms; how helpful regular expressions are; why Gnu
Screen is better than GoToMyPC will ever be; some useful aspects of the
git VCS; and so on.

I can go into more or less detail on the sub-topics depending on how
much interest there is in them, so if people would rather have, say,
just an intro to git, then that's fine too :o)

Dominic