[Sussex] Business Intelligence Software

'Fay Zee' sussex at eglug.org.uk
Tue Mar 22 19:25:38 UTC 2011

Of interest to me at the moment is an upcoming BCS event on
Thursday 21st April, 6pm - 9pm. I want to go - it's at their London
office in WC2E - and I'll be very interested in whatever comes out.

The topic is Open Source knowledge/skills gaps across HM
Government - Part 1: Business Intelligence Software.

We are heavy users of BI in my company and my own manager is
heavily involved. I've just got into MS Reporting services and he's
about to get me trained up in MS SQL Server Integration Services
and cubes using SQL Server, Oracle and other databases. My
previous experience was limited to SQL Server 2000 DTS.

I'd like to know the open source equivalents and how they weigh up

I'll repeat the debates here:

1. What Business Intelligence (BI) Software is HMG using at the
moment (to the best knowledge of the panel and audience) and
what Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) could it be using
for BI? Are they better than non FOSS and can they do more for
less? What are the costs? Reliability? Security?

2. What training/skills are required by HMG to use the FOSS BI
versions? Are there enough people out there with the skills? Are
Graduates equipped with the right training?

3. What would be the ideal way of implementing FOSS BI across HMG?
For example through external Systems Integrators or direct use of HMG
staff?

4. What specific barriers might exist in HMG to the adoption of FOSS
BI?

The event is free. Full details, map and booking form here:
http://ossg.bcs.org/2011/03/12/open-source-knowledgeskills-gaps-across-hm-government-part-1-business-intelligence-software-london-210411/

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group