[Sussex] Next moot talk - Linux as a developer's environment

Dominic Humphries linux at oneandoneis2.org
Sun May 22 13:48:17 UTC 2011

Happy weekend, all

Just posting a reminder that I'm still down (as far as I know :) to give
the talk for this month's moot, on the subject of "Linux as a
developer's environment"

Essentially, we're all familiar with Linux as a typical home PC OS with
Gnome or KDE installed; but this has lead to Linux' true strength (IMHO)
becoming somewhat overlooked: How good it is when what you really want
to do is edit files; tinker with scripts; automate common tasks; and
generally tune your OS to work exactly as YOU want it to.

I haven't got a particularly rigid structure to the talk planned as yet,
but the basic topics I'm hoping to cover are:
  - Why the modern trend of hiding the command line has done Linux a
dis-service
  - Why Gnome and KDE have done likewise
  - The command line is a friendly place
  - Using the GUI to enhance the command line instead of replace it
  - Some simple ways of making the command line more helpful and easy-to-use
  - Why using even a 100% FOSS computer doesn't make you free unless
you've mastered a text editor as well

Despite the title, this isn't aimed at power-users who spend all day
rewriting the Linux source code: I'm aiming to pitch the level of the
talk at people who are familiar with Linux but not as comfortable with
the command-line as they'd like to be - so don't be put off just because
you're not sure where you go to start an xterm :)

Have a good week!

Dominic