[Sussex] New Ubuntu (11.04) older PC (about 5 y.o.) and how, to get it sorted - possible further issue.......

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon May 23 07:11:05 UTC 2011

John,

My suggestion was a completely clean install of 10.04 LTS rather than a
downgrade of an existing 11.04 installation.

You could try starting the install from USB stick rather than CD-ROM, but I
don't expect you to get much further if there are other issues causing
trouble. You could also try running Ubuntu from CD-ROM or USB stick (i.e. the
try Ubuntu option rather than install). If it runs there is an install option
from there. If you can run Ubuntu live from CD-ROM or USB stick you should
also be able to backup any vital data before a clean install of 10.04 LTS.

As to latest kernel and nVidia drivers, I've had this problem with them on my
Gentoo installation. It was cured with the addition of:

"vmalloc=256Mb"

to the kernel line of grub.conf. I believe that Ubuntu 11.04 uses grub2, so
you may have to add the entry to the appropriate grub config files.

Steve Williams.