[Sussex] Tablet Talk Request

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 18:44:01 UTC 2011

On 4 October 2011 09:29, Stephen Williams  wrote:
> Fay,
>
> If this is for the 27th. October I could bring along my Dell Streak
5”
> tablet. It runs Froyo and is also a 4G mobile phone. I got it as a
free
> upgrade to replace my iPhone 3G – it’s much better.
>
> Steve W.

Yes, Steve, thanks, I'd like a proper demo. But is anyone else
interested in this topic?

I looked Froyo up - hmmm, frozen yoghurt - and very soon came across
cupcakes, donuts and eclairs. I wondered what I'd stumbled into, being
a complete newbie re. Android. I'd seen mentions of icecream
sandwiches on the Reg but had thought it was just a joke term for some
sort of device.

My new understanding is that Froyo is Android 2.2, which was released
in May 2010 and that Gingerbread came out in December and Honeycomb in
February. The latest version is 4 - that's the Ice Cream Sandwich -
which is meant to be a hybrid Gingerbread / Honeycomb and gets
released next Tuesday.

So one of the things I would want to know is if the Dell Streak is
upgradeable to each version, and how you would go about it, or if it
stays on the version it was purchased with. I'd have the same question
on any Android device. If you don't upgrade are there potential
security implications?

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group