[Sussex] More new ubuntu confusion....

John The Fatbloke johnsemailaccount at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 15:26:45 UTC 2011

Wotcha list,

Why is it that with every new incarnation of ubuntu, they make it more
confusing to do what we (well, ok, not really we, but me) used to ?

I mean, I used to be able to run an install and add all (well both really as
its only me and Clare) the users. Whereas now I add just my account at
install and can't even locate where I add Clares account!

Plus, it would seem that they are trying to force everyone to use the
unfeasibly unintuitive "unity" desktop on us all. I found it confusing as
hell last system update, but at least it was easy to dump. Now I even have
to install new packages to get the "classic" one.

Yes, of course I appreciate that the list is mainly peopled with the
technically adept, and I'm just a bog standard user, but damn, its like
they're trying to take it back to when it was for techies only, but with
some graphical interface bells and whistles.

I've never managed to get comfortable with CLI, hence my relatively dumb
questions for anything remotely technical, but this time they seem to be
really "taking the biscuit"........

On a less rant like side, it would seem that at least the "post release
updates -version current-updates" of the nvidia driver seems to
install/work.....

Hey Ho ! If there was any alternative, I suspect I'd be trying that right
now.

More dumb questions are likely to be forth coming......

regards

John D