[Sussex] Orange HTC Desire HD and OpenStreetMap - Help Wanted

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Oct 26 19:51:27 UTC 2011

Thank you, Steve.

On 26 October 2011 06:14, Stephen Williams  wrote:
> Fay,
>
> To find out which version of Android, tap settings then about phone.
It's at the bottom of the list and may not be apparent unless you
scroll to the bottom.

It's 2.33 Gingerbread. This is the latest as far as phones go, isn't
it?

> I' ve not tried MapDroid as I use google maps, latitude and places
which came installed on my handset. (Dell Streak) These are really
good and should be in Android Market.

Alex says thanks, he will look at Google maps tonight.

> He might want to try Swype as an alternative keyboard.
>
> Steve W.
>
> Fay Zee  wrote:

>>My questions:
>>
>>How can you find out what version of Android is installed?
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience with running MapDroid, especially on
>>an Orange branded Desire?
>>
>>The other thing was that when going to the Internet and tapping on
the
>>address bar, the onscreen keyboard didn't appear. After navigating
>>around some more screens it appeared. Is there some trick involved?
>>
>>How much difference is there really likely to be between this Orange
>>branded one and an unsubsidised, unbranded (and unlocked) handset?
>>
>>Any tips appreciated.

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group