[Sussex] Perl Talk [WAS:] Updated Grep, Sed and RegExp links from August moot

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Fri Sep 16 00:22:28 UTC 2011

On 15 September 2011 10:29, Dominic Humphries  wrote:
> Wow.. that's some serious grep & sed usage!
>
> I'm impressed that you've managed to get so much functionality out
of
> sed, in particular.

Thanks! It was a case of: I'd got a task I'd set myself, and I looked
for a tool to help.

> One thing I would say, though, is that if this is the kind of thing
> you're doing often, you would probably find Perl both easy to use
(if
> you can do regexes, you're more than halfway to being good at Perl
> anyway) and immensely helpful - Perl was basically created for this
kind
> of text processing.
>
> [snip]
>
> I'll grant you it would be more typing, but it's a *lot* more
readable &
> re-usable :)

I'm all for re-usability. And I like the idea of script files I can
keep handy to run with different inputs. Actually, I learned some
(very) basic C scripts on a Linux course I did years ago.

Since starting to learn grep and sed, I've discovered several tasks,
especially at work, where I could make use of them. By contrast, the
Windows XP dos prompt is clunky and its commands much weaker and so I
had already decided I would have to turn to learning batch files in
order to use dir and find efficiently.

> I've planned giving a talk to SLUG about Perl at some point, let me
know
> if it'd be of enough interest that I should stop thinking and start
> planning :o)

That would be quite nice. As the perl talk will be techie, how about
tailoring the perl script to something that members are keenest on.
What I've heard in our meetings so far is that photo management,
display, search and batch manipulation are popular tasks. Could you
develop some scripts along those lines?

I remember we experimented with ImageMagick one evening last year with
great results, learning a bit about its associated name "Composite"
and its command "display" - that was fun.

 Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group
www.eglug.org.uk