[Sussex] ACPI problem, Debian Wheezy

Gavin Stevens gavin.stevens at gavmusic.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 16:15:11 UTC 2012

After a routine update my main PC will no longer boot successfully.
Everything appears normal in the beginning, but then appears the
following message: "22.290745 ACPI: INVALID _PCT DATA". The numbers at
the beginning vary every time but the rest of the message is the same.
The machine then sits there until I do CTRL+ALT+DEL whereupon the
machine restarts & does the same thing, or I press the on switch of the
tower & the system shuts down.

I tried a Puppy CD this morning & it booted successfully but I am very
keen, nay, desperate to learn the possible causes for this error
message. Searches on the web have not been helpful.

The system is a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1GB RAM dual channel 80GB + 40 GB HDD
capacity. Intel D875PBZ board. This machine has been running Debian all
its life since June 2004 when I built it.

Any help much appreciated.

Gavin.