[Sussex] Locked address book in Kontact

Peter Humphreys peter at humphreys999.free-online.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 22:23:48 UTC 2012

Hi everyone, and season's greetings

I managed to do a silly thing the other day, I tried to download 4Gb of data for OpenSUSE 12.2 when I only had 2.5Gb disk space for it to go in.. oops.

Unsurprisingly the machine seized up, and whilst I have managed to get it going again by a 'crash course' (haha) in the command line and emptying the /tmp folder (at runlevel 1) and clearing out larger items from the Trash folder, the address book in 'Kontact' is seized up with the message below popping up every time I try to open an address card.

The address book '/home/peter/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf' is locked by
application ''.
If you believe this is incorrect, just remove the lock file
from '/home/peter/.kde/share/apps/kabc/lock/*.lock'

I cannot see how to 'just remove the lock file' - I had a look to see what processes are running by using 'top' but that led me nowhere.

Has anyone any suggestions on how I can remove this lock, please?

The machine (this one) - is a Dell Inspiron 4600 tower - and is running OpenSUSE 11.0

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Peter Humphreys