[Sussex] Locked address book in Kontact

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Thu Dec 20 22:35:42 UTC 2012

Hello Peter,

When your computer seized up, all processes crashed. Sometimes this leaves behind lock files of some description, which you need to delete manually. You can go into the folder mentioned in the last sentence of the error message and delete all files with names ending in ".lock". You can do this in several ways, my favourite being the command line, or you can use the Konquerer or Dolphin file managers to do the same.

Peter Humphreys <peter at humphreys999.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi everyone, and season's greetings
>
>I managed to do a silly thing the other day, I tried to download 4Gb of
>data for OpenSUSE 12.2 when I only had 2.5Gb disk space for it to go
>in.. oops.
>
>Unsurprisingly the machine seized up, and whilst I have managed to get
>it going again by a 'crash course' (haha) in the command line and
>emptying the /tmp folder (at runlevel 1) and clearing out larger items
>from the Trash folder, the address book in 'Kontact' is seized up with
>the message below popping up every time I try to open an address card.
>
>The address book '/home/peter/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf' is locked
>by
>application ''.
>If you believe this is incorrect, just remove the lock file
>from '/home/peter/.kde/share/apps/kabc/lock/*.lock'
>
>I cannot see how to 'just remove the lock file' - I had a look to see
>what processes are running by using 'top' but that led me nowhere.
>
>Has anyone any suggestions on how I can remove this lock, please?
>
>The machine (this one) - is a Dell Inspiron 4600 tower - and is running
>OpenSUSE 11.0
>
>Any suggestions gratefully received!
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter Humphreys