[Sussex] Spoofed Sender Names

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 20:32:10 UTC 2012

Just a quick note about dubious-looking emails you may have
seen in your spam folder that looked like they came from our
list.

Anything purporting to come directly from the mailing list
address (i.e. the sender is something at mailman.lug.org.uk) is
fake - the sender address has been spoofed. There is nothing
the list admins can do about this.

Please just delete those emails.

The recent ones were advertising a job vacancy. I can confirm
there were a whole tranche with different UK LUG list
addresses spoofed into the sender field.

Although these emails contained no links, they provided an
email address to get more information. This is simply a
device to extract valid personal emails. Anyone who responds
has selected themselves as a potential future scam target.

The best advice is to just ignore them.

 Best Regards,
Fay
Sussex Linux User Group List Admin