[Sussex] Oo.o / LO Report hell

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:59:46 UTC 2012

I am interested in this as a potential user. 25 years ago I lived,
breathed, ate, dreamed databases and was quite proficient. I am having
trouble understanding what advances have really been made since the
arrival of sql; about the only ones I can see are blobs and unicode
provision. Anyway I have googled around for your problem and assume
you are using the sun report builder or derivative and the 2 examples
I have come up with so far are:
NOT([Ingredient]  = "COMMENT")
works to make a field invisible when [Ingredient] = "COMMENT" in
Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1
and
([Note]<>NULL())
I'm told works well.

So looking at your examples I would have to suppose
for DATE
([CASH]<=500)

I take it there is no case sensitivity - shouldn't be Cash?

and for LAST
NOT([ALLOW])

I come at this as a complete newb so forgive me if I am trying to
teach you to suck eggs, and in any case my interpretation could be
miles off. I do feel a need to understand base and how it
(mal)functions so would love to know what result you have come up
with. Perhaps 2 reports - for over 500 and not; or 4 reports mixing
the allow last in??

I just remembered I have an XP box with oobase installed and fired it
up to look at your dropbox: It just errors all over saying it cant
connect to data source "conditional print expression 1" ! Guess we'd
need the whole caboodle. I had looked into your xml bits to establish
Allow was a boolean but couldn't find any trace of your conditional -
just assumed it was in the binary.

I did meet a howler in calc back at version 2 where bringing in a csv
would just vape the entire data. It took years to fix and even now it
is very clunky and the forks of Open and Libre are bound to bring in
more trouble as they diverge :(

Good luck

Paul