[Sussex] Fault possibly developing on my PC

Peter Humphreys peter at humphreys999.free-online.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 23:34:20 UTC 2012

Hello all

Thanks to everyone for their generous provision of advice and suggestions
which have all been most helpful and gratefully received. I also have learned
a lot.

I suspect that a capacitor on the motherboard may well be faulty as I took the
plunge.. and suspended the system, to see what happened. To power back up I
needed to use the power switch, and it worked fine just touching (rather than
holding) it, so far four or five times. Even though the computer appears to
completely power down with no noises or lights, I suspect (but don't know)
that it doesn't and there is still a small current flowing through the
motherboard keeping the miscreant capacitor/s charged. So pro tem I will
continue to 'Suspend' rather than 'Turn Off' the computer. It powers up in a
trice when doing that, wish I had tried it before.

Thanks again

Peter Humphreys