[Sussex] ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Tue Sep 25 10:20:33 UTC 2012

Hi

I want to record using my headset microphone.

I tried Sound Recorder in Debian Squeeze, but after pressing the red
record button, the timer indicator doesn't progress and the Save menu
item is greyed out. Closing the application gives me a save option and
a file is created with a duration but is silent.

My Google search string was:
debian squeeze record "from headphone microphone"

I followed the directions at
http://linux.chrissweeney.co.uk/topic.php?t=56.
It looks like he uses Debian / Ubuntu and the site as a whole was last
updated on 13/09/2012.

These are the results I got with the suggested commands:

fay at jill:~$ cat /proc/asound/modules
 0 snd_hda_intel

fay at jill:~$ aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

fay at jill:~$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 2: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

So the type of sound card I have is: [ALC888 Analog]
This is exactly the same as the author's card.

The next step was to run:

fay at jill:~$ gunzip -c
/usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz >
temp_sound.txt

The author found his card in that file, but I opened it in gedit and
searched for my card but there wasn't any "ALC" string at all as a
card name.

Do I need to download something?

Many Google results mention ALSA, PulseAudio, etc and seem to involve
adding a line to the end of a file, but I don't want to make a
mistake.

Any suggestions please?

Best Regards,
Fay