[Sussex] Retrieving data from mirrored disks

Dave Garry daveg at firsdown.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 29 11:46:23 UTC 2013

Hi Fay,

If the disks were using Linux soft RAID (mdadm) then this site should be
helpful:

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid

First you need to identify which of two of the three disks were being
used as the
RAID mirrors. Booting a live disk with one disk in a caddy is the way to
start.

The output from "fdisk -l" should be all you need to identify the disks
- look at the
"partition type" field - those that are "0xfd" are software RAID.

Commands such as "mdadm --assemble --scan" will probe the disk for RAID
volumes, these will then be accessible via /dev/mdxx where xx will be
unique for
each volume. You cannot / should not mount the volume via /dev/sdxx, always
use the /dev/mdxx device as found by mdadm.

The command "cat /proc/mdstat" will show stats on each RAID volume.

When only using one disk from a mirrored pair the volumes will be in
degraded
mode - "cat /proc/mdstat" will show this. You should be able to mount
the volumes
read-only to get to your data...

If hardware RAID was being used then the above may not be of use, and you
may need another motherboard with the same RAID chipset to be able to read
them.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

--