[Sussex] How to sort out "crippled" android on smart phone (samsung Galaxy Note 2).

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 18:12:08 UTC 2013

Hi John
I know nothing about smartphones.
Are you trying to access built in memory or is it on a removable card?
Obviously removing a card would allow you to play with the data under
linux or maybe even windows - depending on format.
When things vanish after a linux upgrade it is often to do with
ownership and permissions so getting root access to your filesystem
would allow you to fix this.
Doing a quick google on android file permissions gives plenty of
instruction - I just saw a you-tube that explains enough.
If you can't see your data even with root access then it is either not
mounted or has been overwritten and is gone.
What you are looking for is read/write permission (for others) to work
with files, but remember directories need execute permission to be
searchable - ie to see the names of the files and subdirectories they
contain.
If all else fails and your data is precious then maybe you could
revert to the original system so you can recover it and reload it
again to a tested/repaired upgrade?
Google also has plenty on android partitions eg
http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/android-partitions-explained-boot-system-recovery-data-cache-misc/
I'd say data or the sd..s should interest you most .. or maybe a trace
of the previous data partition, mounted and with the right ownership
and permissions :)

Just some thoughts :)

Paul