[Sussex] PlayOnLinux, Vyew, Shutter - 20-minute lightning talks (unsolved error)

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Tue Jan 29 17:00:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

I picked up the latest PlayOnLinux, version 4.1.9, which was only
released on 17th Jan. It has a user friendly GUI interface.

	There is one bug I want to address before giving my 20-minute
lightning talk on PlayOnLinux

	Wine Warning

	It appears that libnss-mdns is installed on your system,

	but lib32nss-mdns is not. Please note that Wine will not be

	able to access the Internet unless you either install

	lib32nss-mdns (or ia32-lib32nss-mdns), or uninstall libnss-ndns.

	It keeps surfacing, sometimes several times, when I install programs
into Wine.

	I run 64-bit Debian Squeeze. I uninstalled the Wine program that came
from the Squeeze repo because not only did the ib32nss-mdns /
ia32-lib32nss-mdns error continually crop up, but KindleForPC wouldn't
work with it (missing fonts, wouldn't download Kindle books).

	KindleForPC works brilliantly under PlayOnLinux.

	I wish I could say the same for IE8 and IE7, but Favourites don't
work for either and it freezes so I can't close tabs. I wanted IE so I
could join GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar online events. They don't work
on Linux. Hence another of my 20-minute lightning talks is on Vyew,
which does.

	I had a different problem regarding a non-listed program installation
which relies on Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and .NET Framework 4
Client Profile. PlayOnLinux has so far installed each program into a
separate drive_c folder. I will have to investigate the .NET
dependency issue further another time.

	My third 20-minute lightning talk shows how easily Shutter can be
used to capture screenshots of an online video I will be using the
excellent Linux Foundation 20th Anniversary video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJJqO27uzQw to demonstrate.

Best Regards,
Fay
East Grinstead Linux User Group