[Sussex] Mounting remote disks

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Tue Oct 15 12:01:50 UTC 2013

Hello Brendan,

I'm not sure what the issue is with the NIS error messages, although I
doubt that it is a fatal error. From a superficial look, I think that
autofs is trying to get a gid/uid mapping from NIS (which is controlled
via the /etc/nsswitch.conf file if memory serves), and upon not finding
that resource it logs the failure. For NFS it would be a good idea to
have a centralised UID/GID mapping service via something like LDAP
(preferable over NIS), but in your case the mount is done via CIFS,
which does not need such granular controls.

I will have a deeper look at the issue tonight.

Regards,
Jan Henkins

--
Regards,