[Sussex] A question of Android

Paul Willis phwillis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:57:08 UTC 2014

A member at last week's Rustington LUG came in with some copies of x86
Android 4.4.2 on bootable CD which we could run on our PCs/laptops.
While some machines wouldn't play, most were delighted to have a
rooted copy of Android to explore. Not everything worked (no picture
for TV iplayer, but radio was fine). Most of us found we could rotate
the screen by holding down F9 to F12. At home on the PC without wifi
the wired ethernet turned out to be there anyway.
Makes me think by bringing in Android, we are really just extending
Linux generally to mobile devices. Seems a no brainer to me.

If you want to play I noticed (for instance)
http://liliputing.com/2014/02/android-x86-4-4-release-candidate-run-kitkat-pc.html
which has link
http://www.android-x86.org/download
that seems to have all the business.