[Sussex] A question of Android

Gavin Stevens gavin.stevens at gavmusic.co.uk
Sun Feb 23 00:53:37 UTC 2014

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the future of the monthly SLUG
moots. In particular I've been looking at the modern landscape of where
Linux is being widely used. I see that Linux is used on the Chromebook
laptops & otherwise it seems to have a relatively small but stable user
base on other laptops & desktop PCs. The area that is often overlooked
is Android. As I have mentioned before at the moots, Android is a Linux
distribution in all but name. It isn't included as a mainstream because
it is customised, using a much modified kernel & Google have chosen to
keep it separate at this time. That said, it still uses the same kernel
version numbers as the standard kernel that you would see on your PC.
Also, a quick look at the directory structure on an Android smartphone
gives the game away completely.

It seems to be next to impossible at present to install Android
directly onto your smartphone without it being offered as an update by
the 'phone manufacturer. I am looking forward, however, to getting my
hands on "Ubuntu Touch" (Linux for smartphone) when it is a bit more
developed (It is available now for developers - I don't want to risk
"bricking" my spare 'phone!)

Can I ask all members to think about how/if we can incorporate Android
into the moots and/or the list? It seems to me that this could be a
very good & relevant way to bring the Linux "message" to more people -
all those people out there with "Linux in their pocket" - and they
don't even know it... How many of them would install Linux on their PC
or laptop if they understood more about the little device they carry
around with them all the time?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Gavin.