[Sussex] We have been offered a great talk!! Please help to promote it!!

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 13:18:05 UTC 2014

Correction: Angus's talk is on OpenShift, briefly mentioning OpenStack
and Docker.

OpenShift is a cloud computing platform as a service product from Red
Hat. The software that runs the service is open-sourced under the name
OpenShift Origin, and is available on GitHub. Developers can use Git
to deploy web applications in different languages on the platform.

Come and learn what a "gear" is. Find out which awards OpenShift
Online public Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) has won. What is it like to
work for RedHat? All these questions and more answered by Angus on
Thursday 26th June (provided that enough people sign up - hint,
hint)!!!!

Download an image suitable for running on a VM, build your own machine
using Puppet, or deploy OpenShift Origin manually.

You can try the Free version without a credit card, the Bronze version
from $0 per month or the Silver version from $20 per month.

Supported language environments:

     JavaScript
     Ruby
     Python
     PHP
     Perl
     Java
     Haskell
     .NET

Supported databases:

     MySQL
     PostgreSQL
     MongoDB
     Microsoft SQL Server[4

 From RedHat's FAQ:

Q. I would like to try out Openshift, Can I do this for free?

A. Openshift's free plan allows you to try out Openshift completely
for free, for as long as you like. Then, once you're ready to upgrade
to one of our paid plans you can do so at any time. See This FAQ for
more information on how to upgrade.

Q. What are the benefits to having a paid plan?

A. Openshift's paid plans can provide users with various features and
benefits. For the best look into what our plans offer, check out this
comprehensive list on our Openshift Pricing Page.

Q. I have a paid plan, are free gears still included?

A. Yes, each paid plan includes 3 free small gears. So for example, If
you are a bronze user, you will not start incurring charges until you
spin up 4th small gear or start using some of the medium or large
gears. The same goes for storage; you are given 1gb of storage per
gear. If you go beyond that, you will start incurring charges based on
your usage.

Best regards,
Fay
Attendance List Manager