[Sussex] Invitation from Portsmouth LUG to their meeting on the coming Saturday, 21st June.

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:20:27 UTC 2014

Our next bring a box meeting will be this coming Saturday, June 21st, from
13:00 - 18:00, in the Broadoaks Social Club in Hilsea.  It is some 4 miles
from the Sussex border.
http://www.broadoaksocialclub.net/where.html

It would be great to see a crowd of you, and even better if some of you could
bring open source problems, ideally accompanied by the boxes on which they
are running.  Or bring a box and show us some new Open Source marvel or
curiosity!

There is plenty of room and some power points, which can be extended by the
extension leads some of us sometimes remember to bring.  (Hint, hint!)
Switches would also be useful.  There is Wi-Fi, but it is, shall we say,
problematic (and slow).  There is also ethernet, but again not very fast (2
Meg) and the room has, if they have not been pinched, homeplugs.

We have a talk this month:
James Titcumb from PHP Hants will be doing a talk on "The State of PHP in
2014"
<quote>
PHP has been around since 1995, which means it has been powering the web for
nearly two decades. It is one of the top web scripting languages, and is used
on countless websites. What is new in the world of PHP and why is this
language, that many seem quick to dismiss, so popular? In this talk, we’ll
look at some of the landmark achievements of PHP, why it’s still gaining
popularity, and also a glimpse into what the future might hold for the world
of PHP.
</quote>

Tea, coffee and a full bar are available, but please note that alcohol can
only be bought by club members.  Temporary membership is available for £1, or
you can ask one of the three of us who are members to do the buying for you.
Food on a Saturday is sparse unless preordered.  (Scratchings, crisps etc.)

For newcomers:
There is plenty of parking just opposite the club, and Hilsea railway
station is immediately adjacent.

The door to the club will probably be locked.  If so, you will need to
ring the buzzer and ask for the Linux meeting.  Go up the stairs and
through the bar to the door at the back left corner of the bar.

I shall aim to be there not later than 12:30.  If I am the only one left at
any time after 5:00, I shall go.  So if you want to arrive after that, make
sure that you let me know!

Lisi