[Sussex] Two Meetings in May!! [Was: No May meeting]

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Tue May 6 01:06:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

Let me set the record straight: Sussex LUG __WILL__ be holding our
usual meeting on the last Thursday of May:

The Holbrook Club
North Heath Lane
Horsham
West Sussex
RH12 5PJ

Thursday 29th May 2014 from 7pm until about 11pm.

(Peter meant to send his post to the __Surrey__ LUG mailing list.)

Surrey LUG - at the suggestion of Peter - are holding their May
meeting at the Feathers in Mersthem.

Feathers Hotel
42 High Street
Merstham
Redhill
Surrey
RH1 3EA

Saturday 10th May 2014 from 12pm noon until about 5pm. (pub won't be
open until 12)

Parking is £2 but you get it refunded by the landlord when ordering
food and drink.
Free pub Wifi or £1 for use of Jay's WiFi dongle.
We will have a room to ourselves and I shall take along a backup
projector for talks.
Lots of techies in attendance.
It'll be fun.

Here are the full details from Jay, who booked the Feathers venue:

I'll book it during the week, but consider it the venue anyway (if the
room isn't available - very unlikely, we can still meet up and treat
it as a pub meet).

Details
DateTime:  It is for Sat the 10th from 12 (pub won't be open until 12)
Driving: M25 Jct 8 - follow signs for Merstham, its at the S bend
facing the garage on the London Road.
Parking: yes for around 25 cars, you need 2 GBP which can be reclaimed
when ordering food drink
Train: Merstham station is mainline London/Brighton with interconnect
for Guildford line at Redhill.
Bus: Route 100
Airport: gatwick :)
Electricity: bring a long multi plug if you can.
wifi: pub has usual login via be spammed internet … I've also got 2 3G
mifi's for those that object to giving marketers their personal
details….Boooo!. Cost to use the dongle based on usage was 1
GBP/person …sorry dam expensive to run!  each support 5 users.
Other facts: Theres a good second hand computer shop just around the corner.

Talks/Topics : Debian 6 LTS , the new Ubuntu,  Jono bacons new
community book,  Wayland status, Audio mixers and sound subsystem,
O'Reilly Community changes … Long live Josette and thank you for all
the books you have passed on for review: I regret to pass on the
message below from last week, its a result of O'Reilly changes in the
format of it community interaction. I don't know much more about it,
any one fancy doing some research and giving a update?

Car Boot Shop: I have a box of high end spares to dig through, various
GFX, Raid cards, Ram, memory and a working dell sc4400. ( i also have
a second working chip, if you can be bothered to use amazon to get the
apic and heatsink kit, it can be upgraded to a dual socket, both chips
are Xeon class. It has proven to be very reliable server/workstation …
unfortunately I've run out of space.  (there also a spare power unit)

There also a Dell desktop desktop ( previously donated by a slugger)

I'm looking for storage parts for this:
http://static.acer.com/up/Resource/Acer/Servers/Rack/GR380_F1/Docs/20120215/GR380%20F1%20spec(long)%20v2.2.pdf

Ideally i'be looking for disk/raid caddy bay and matching disk caddies
that can be fitted to it (i have disks) as currently i have a single
sata disk taped onto the metal!   - I have 2 h5 caddies and a super
micro caddy bay, but they are incompatible :(

or a working storage appliance  that can be used as iscsi boot disk
or an old JBOD chassis that can be connected via some interconnect or iscsi.

and 1 or 2 PCIe x16 or x8 (Gen 2) gfx card ( that do not need
additional power, and will run from the native 3.3V)

Jay

Best regards,
Fay

Quoting "petermoule2 at tiscali.co.uk" <petermoule2 at tiscali.co.uk> on 2