[Sussex] Could anyone help me with Multiarch please?

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Oct 22 23:16:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

My installed distro is Debian Wheezy, I use aptitude package manager,
and my new laptop has an AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
graphics card.

I would like to run Blender 3D, but although Blender launches okay,
the 3D part is missing.

Blender and other OpenGL programs work perfectly on my laptop under
Knoppix 7.2.0 (32-bit), so I know that my goal to run Blender under
64-bit Debian Wheezy is achievable.

On Debian Wheezy I have run:

# dpkg --add-architecture i386

followed by

# aptitude update

Researching on the Internet throws up old posts and a lot of confusion.

Which packages do I have to install now to get the 32bit OpenGL
libraries onto my machine, and what is the exact command, please?

I have downloaded the AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for the x86_64
Mobility Radeon HD 4xxx Series from
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=Legacy2&os=Linux%20x86_64 but am not sure if it is
needed?

Best regards,