[Sussex] Debian 8

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed May 27 22:50:09 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 27 May 2015 22:57:06 Hugh O'Neal wrote:
> I have not yet managed to attend your meetings but I wonder if the Debian
> systemd debate is worth an airing?

Please, please, please, no.  If you really feel the need to debate systemd and
Debian, there are always the user list archives! :-)  It nearly killed the
Debian user list.  People seem entirely unable to discuss the subject
dispassionately and rationally.  A mere mention of systemd provoked a flame
war.

> I have been a Debian fan for many years
> because it feels secure and robust, but after trying out Debian 8 I have
> now decided to switch to pclinuxos which uses the traditional system-v that
> I am comfortable with.

You could always have run Jessie without systemd, or rather, with sysvinit.
It is possible both to upgrade and to install without systemd.  Quite a few
people are doing/have done so.  It is also entirely feasible to change back
to sysvinit, after trying and disliking systemd.  Again, people have done so.

It isn't possible to run Jessie without the word "systemd" appearing anywhere
on the computer or in the libraries.  But then the word is here on Wheezy,
and I am certainly not running systemd.

I am not expressing, and have not expressed, an opinion on systemd itself.
Merely on the unpleasantness and heat that it and Debian in the same sentence
seem to generate among some Debian users.

But then there are dedicated PCLinuxOS fans, of whom you may well find yourslf
one.  In my opinion it will inevitably go over to systemd at some stage, but
possibly not for some years.  It was a late adopter of KDE4.  It leaves time
for the rough edges to smooth off things!

Lisi