[Sussex] Portsmouth Linux User Group August 2016 meeting

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 23:18:36 UTC 2016

The next meeting of Portsmouth Linux User Group will be Saturday, 20th August,
from 13:00 to 18:00 at the Broadoak Sports and Social Club, Hilsea.
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/venue.html

Jeffrey Best will give us  talk entitled: "A Whistle-stop Tour of jQuery and
Node.js".  He says:
<quote>
We have started to use jQuery widely and we have been exploring whether
Node.js is a suitable technology to deploy for services to slot into process
chains to support generic functionality tailored to the specific short-term
requirements of a particular client or event.  This talk was created as part
of my programme to develop in-house training resources.
</quote>
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/talks/201608.html

In addition, if Luke Stutters is able to make it to the meeting he will give a
short talk on making contact over the Internet with ssh, using a virtual
Ubuntu server in Google Compute Engine.
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/talks/index.html

It will also be our usual Bring a Box meeting: bring your problems, bring your
gadgets, come to chat or come to learn.  Bring anything from a smartphone to
a large desktop - so long as it is, at least partly, Open Source!  And
remember that Android has a Linux kernel. ;-)  Or just bring yourself.  You
may bring a box, not you must bring a box.

If you are daunted by something you want to install, upgrade, try out or test,
do your installation, upgrade, configuration, testing, at the meeting with
all those helpful, knowledgeable, people round you.

If you are primarily interested in food and drink, we are not your ideal
location.  But if you are after tech help, tech talk, an immersion in being
techy, then we may be what you are looking for.

I look forward to seeing some you there. :-)  If you haven't been before,
don't be shy.  We are a friendly group, and would love to see you.
Come and see what we are about and what we look like.
Lisi

P.S. Advance notice of the September meeting:  Matthew Withers will be giving
his delayed delayed (!) talk about Open Source Science.  It was previously to
have been about Astrophotography, but Matthew has decided to broaden it.  He
assures me that there will still be a lot of photography and Astrophysics in
his talk!
http://www.portsmouth.lug.org.uk/talks/201609.html

Note: This talk, that had been scheduled for October 2015, and had to be
cancelled because of illness, has again had to be rescheduled for September.