[Sussex] Change of speaker for Portsmouth and South East Hampshire LUG meeting

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 23:35:38 UTC 2017

We have a change of speaker for the Portsmouth and South East Hampshire
meeting this Saturday.  Dr. Jacek Kopecky is unfortunately indisposed.

Dr. Thomas Kluyver has kindly stepped in and will talk about the Southampton
sailing robot project. He warns that this will be a bit repetitive for anyone
who went to the Southampton Python talk a few months ago.  But I am sure that
it would be even better the second time, and besides there are all the other
goodies still on offer.

Sadly, the Raspberry Pi “project” is also on hold.  Chris says: “On removing
the outer packaging of the replacement SD-card holder, (inner packaging
intact) I found that the new item was damaged in a similar way to the one it
was bought to replace! They really are very fragile, as the number of
mentions on web-sites will confirm.

“So far, the supplier has not responded to my communications and I have had
no luck finding an alternative source. I know that stronger, all-metal ones
exist, but I cannot find one....

“Consequently, Project PiFix is on hold for the moment...”

Any one know where a stronger all metal one is to be found?

I shall, if I get a following wind for a bit, want help with updating the
firmware on my Daisy Player* (it has to go via a <cross fingers and throw
salt over left shoulder> Windows computer <uncross fingers>, and I don't own
Windows).

And there are always interesting projects to join in with, watch or help on,
or one can even just “chill out”.

Lisi

*
http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/communication/daisy-talking-book-players-2430-p/