[SWLUG] file system choices

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Thu Aug 1 16:00:43 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 11:29:48AM +0100, Dick Porter wrote:
> A better way would be to use the uid= and/or gid= options to mount, in
> /etc/fstab.
>
> - Dick

I also find the 'noexec' option useful, because it's a relatively safe
assumption you don't want to run anything on your vfat partition (mount
it as this for long file-name support), unless you have BINFMT_MISC set
up to run .exes through WINE. The other one I have is 'quiet', which
makes chown/chgrp/chmod calls suceed even though they don't do anything.
Sometimes commands like cp and mv try and do this kind of thing, and
you don't really care about whether the perms are set or not, because
they don't exist on the partition.

As a fyi, the full set of options I use is:
 id=101,umask=002,quiet,noexec
which seems to mostly do the job. The users in the 'vfat' (101) group
can write, the rest can only read.

Regards,
Rob