[SWLUG] Auto web page creator

Rhys Jones rhys at sucs.org
Mon Aug 12 08:22:43 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Robert McQueen wrote:

> Whilst not directly useful in this situation (although arguably, this is
> not a terribly useful field anyway =), I have been very impressed and
> amused in the past by the output of Scott Pakin's Complaint Letter
> Generator, which can be found here:
>  http://hugin.sigusr1.org/~pakin/complaint
>
> For example:
>  http://tinyurl.com/yqc

There is even more 'useful' stuff that can be done with Markov chains.
Here are two, from (where else?) NTK of about two months ago.

... MARKOV the beast: http://www.fourteenminutes.com/fun/words/ ,
         http://www.sincity.com/penn-n-teller/pcc/shaney.html ...
(try saying the name of the 'poster' in the second link out loud).

If this scares you, consider that virtually all of the automatic speech
recognition stuff out there at the moment uses an augmented version of a
Markov chain (a Hidden Markov Model) to deduce the phoneme strings being
uttered by the human, and an n-gram model to deduce which actual word has
a reasonable chance of following which other.

Does anyone know of an open-source implementation of Mozart's musical dice
game, by the way?

Rhys