[SWLUG] helo

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Dec 11 15:45:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:32:43PM +0000 or thereabouts, Jim Killock wrote:
> I am nowhere near cardiff (Bangor in fact) but thought it might be aan

:)

> idea to subscribe just to see how Linux was going in your part of wales.

Sounds good to me. I admit to being on the West Wales LUG list for
similar reasons :)

Linux seems to be making inroads down here. We may be a little
behind Powys (which moved to Linux for some council and LEA stuff
some years ago) but we may catch up. I was really startled at
the number of people showing up at early LUG meetings because
they hoped it would cut business costs to use Linux.

> I also thought it might be useful to spread the word on a couple of GPL
> projects I'm involved in:
>
> I've recently helped build a Linux Welsh dictionary for Aspell (using
> ISO 8859-14 - but now can interface with UTF-8).

Oooooh. Ooh, this is very cool. Not that I can speak it, but I am
trying to learn.

> I'm also working on getting some translations for GPL software. I'd be
> very interested if anyone knows any other stuff that's translated, but
> the stuff I know about can be found at:
> http://www.hebffinia.com/meddalwedd/
>
> Information on the dictionary can be found here:
> http://www.hebffinia.com/geiriadur/

There are several projects that have been more or less translated.
And many more which haven't been. There are a bunch of people who
have been doing this for quite a while: their names crop up in
nearly every Welsh free software translations. And some of us down
here are trying to get a GNOME translation kick-started.