[SWLUG] tricks to multi boot suse and redhat/mandrake ?

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Fri Dec 13 10:02:27 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm after some advice !

i have a working suse 7.3 install that sits on a 40Gb disc.  I now want to run two distros from that disc BUT the space I can make availaible is physically at the end of the disc way past the 1023 cylinder. I boot using lilo on the mbr, and I have a separate boot partition.

I am aware that I might have a BIOS issue if I try and point LILO to the end of the disk for booting a kernel. (but i'm not sure about this)

So, what is my best bet for rejigging things to fit red hat 7.3 on ?  I've never installed red-hat before.

Any tips / pitfalls I might have ?

would it be easier with mandrake 9 ?

Will I need to put a kernel in my suse /boot partition and tell lilo to go there ?  are the installers  with redhat and mandrake clever enough not to shaft my suse 7.3 install ?

I'm not really sure what needs to be done !

thanks all,

Gareth.

(oh I'm doing this because I want to install a music/audio tweaked sub-distro from either
[on red hat] - http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
or
[on mandrake] -http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/explore.html
and there ain't one for suse and the debian one has been eaten by the EU!)