[SWLUG] Any experience with NTL cable modems and Linux?

justin at discordia.org.uk justin at discordia.org.uk
Sat Dec 14 16:46:04 UTC 2002

On 14 Dec, Neil Jones wrote:

> I am having NTL install broadband on  Monday.
>
> I am told that the modem will connect via a USB port.
> Does anyone have any experience in connecting Linux to these.
>
> I understand that a netowork card is also an option, that is what the chap at
> NTL's call centre said, but I just want to get it operating first.
>
> With a network card it would be a matter of using DHCP I understand.
> but what is the procedure and programs to run if I can connecting
> via USB. Is it the same or similar and what do I need to watch out for?

Ive not heard of those cable modems having any USB support, there isnt
that much call for it as they have ether as well, and thats infinitely
easier to support.

You just need a standard ethernet card, an older 10mb one will do as
long as its UTP. Connect it directly to the cable modem with a standard
cat5 cable.  Use your network config tool to set that interface to use
DHCP and thats it!

You will likely need to goto the ntl autoreg site before you can
access the outside world, as the initial setup has you firewalled until
your modem is registered with them.

btw. You may need to use dhcpcd instead of pump as your dhcp client, i
dont know if its changed, but older versions had a problem, just remove
the pump rpm (or package) and make sure the dhcpcd one is installed, the
networking scripts should adjust themselves to use it. (* this is true
for redhat, i cant speak for other dists)

-J