[SWLUG] Re: Hello

Jim Killock jim.killock at hebffinia.com
Tue Dec 17 11:35:10 UTC 2002

Hi Gary,

I do similar work in Bangor, and use Illustrator, photoshop and
Indesign etc, although we are Mac-based

We have redhat on one desktop for our programmer, and use RedHat on our
Apache_PHP_MySQL box, mail server, ADSL internet gateway and fileserver.

I would be comfortable running redhat as a desktop for a admin person,
so long as they were given a functional set up with say openoffice; but
i do not think the alternatives to photoshop (Gimp etc) etc are
sufficiently mature.

On the other hand Disney I believe run Photoshop under an emulator and
equivalents to Dreamweaver do exist - but these and workeable windows
emulators are often / usually commercial products themselves. (Is there
an open source Wysiwig html editor?)

So why bother? It's just a headache.

My advice is to use Linux for what it's good at - server technologies
and desktop replacements - and not disrupt your business! (But maybe
ditch M$ Office - try downloading it from http://www.openoffice.org )

Jim
ps you could check out http://www.blender.org for a GPL raster /
animation package

pps we use a USB Alcatel slug on our ADSL gateway - that you were all
slagging off as an unworkeable route to go down .. I would say that
you're not far wrong, it's a lot of hassle, and sometimes it crashes \\
:-(  ) cos of its hacked kernel ... but it can be done ..

--
dylunio ar bapur a gwe
web and paper-based design

1 Rhes Trefelyan