[SWLUG] lilo headache

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Wed Dec 18 10:34:45 UTC 2002

Hi,

I'm spent two days being very stupid with lilo and i need some help !

I've got a disc with these primary partitions :

1st - (as extended & logical drives for about 34 GB with suse 7.3) = hda1, 5-11(maybe)

2nd - ( an ext2 80 meg partion as /boot for red hat 7.3)  hda2

3nd - (the root for all the rest of redhat 7.3 - ext3) hda3

Suse boots fine from lilo which sits on the mbr of this disc.
Redhat boots fine from the boot floppy that the installer created.

How do I get lilo to boot redhat ?   is it even possible ?

I was going to get redhat to put grub on the disc, BUT I'm very wary of letting it try because the red-hat intstaller  keeps complaining that it can't align(?) the partition table. AND when I get to the grub config screen - it hasn't noticed that I;ve got suse on the disc (it finds win 98 on the other disc in the machine ok).   grub on suse 7.3 seems to be broken.

anyone got a lilo.conf where they boot from a mbr lilo to totally separate linux distros on the same disc ???

could I get lilo to boot grub/lilo from the boot partition of hda2 ???

have I got a broken partition table ? (looks ok-ish from fdisk) BUT  i did do something odd with the disc,  it used to have a jumper to set it to 32gb only (for a non lba bios i think) and this has been removed - every thing still works fine except the above.

Gareth.