[SWLUG] lilo headache

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters.net
Wed Dec 18 16:03:32 UTC 2002

Gareth,

Perhaps you could try the following:

1. Fire your PC up into Suse and log in as root.

2. Locate the lilo.conf file, and add an entry for 'Red Hat Linux' to the
bottom of the file as follows:

  image = /boot/vmlinuz  # your zImage file
  root = /dev/hda2     # partition containing the kernel
  label = Red Hat Linux        # name to appear on menu

3. Run /sbin/lilo at the command prompt to propagate the lilo.conf changes
to your Master Boot Record.

4. Reboot.  The initial boot menu should now include Red Hat Linux
(depending on how you've got lilo configured, you may not get a menu; just a
LILO: prompt.  If this is the case, just hit Tab to see the list of
choices).

Regards,
Dafydd.