[SWLUG] lilo headache

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Wed Dec 18 23:32:29 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:04:02AM -0800, Dafydd Walters wrote:
> > But you do seem to suggest that I should be able to
> > point lilo at a completely different partition and it will still work ?
>
> To be honest, I'm not 100% sure this is possible.  If you've already tried
> what I suggested and it did not work, then maybe not.

This is definitely possible. LILO doesn't care what partition the kernel
image comes from. All it does is asks the kernel for which device it's
on, and which blocks contain the file (which is why there were
originally problems with reiserfs and LILO, sometimes it stores metadata
and small files in the same block) and installs the blocklist with the
loader in the MBR. So it's definitely possible to refer to a file stored
on another partition.

> Regards,
> Dafydd.

Regards,
Rob

p.s. Guys, please try and avoid duplicating too much of the thread in
your messages when replying to mailing lists, we've all seen it already.
=)