[SWLUG] Open Office (Y Swyddfa Gymraeig)

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters.net
Sat Dec 21 18:21:46 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 07:58, Jim Killock wrote:
> OpenOffice has a little publicised front end to other databases, such
> as MySQL ...

I didn't realize OOo had this feature.  I just had a little play with
it, and was able to access a couple of my PostreSQL and MySQL databases
(via UnixODBC) using the pretty "Access-like" UI in no time at all!

It looks like it supports dBase, Text and Spreadsheets as native data
source types, and then all other databases via UnixODBC (which supports
all major databases, as well as the smaller free ones) and JDBC.  Very
cool!

The UI supports queries, views, sorting as well as table and index
design, so you could even use this tool to change an existing database
schema. It allows queried data to be pulled into the Write/Calc document
you're working on.  I suppose this would make it great for mail-merge
applications for office-automation.