[SWLUG] Not printing in Mandrake 8.0

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Sat Dec 28 13:06:17 UTC 2002

Dear All

I am using Mandrake 8.0 which at the time of installation found my
printers (Epson C80 through USB and HP 420 via LPT1).  Unfortunately I
am not able to print via either printer from any applications (Open
Office 1.0, KEDIT, KWRITE).

So far I have gone to Control Centre > Search > typed in "printing"
and found the "Printing Manager".  It showed my two printers.  I
selected each one in turn and this presented many options.
On the Information tab it said for each of the two printers that the
location, device and model was blank.  Despite having tried to print
several times the Jobs tab was blank.
The properties tab, General Button said that  the Location was "unavailable".

Printing Manager said that type of printing was "Generic, UNIX LPD
print system (default)". In turn I tried to print using all the options
presented here.  These included: CUPS, LPR, RLPR.  The result was
always the same, a brief flash of a window saying that it was printing
page one.

In addition I started reading the  "How To" pages.  The Linux Printing
Usage How To & Printing-How To.  Far to technical I am afraid.  At one
stage an example was being given of how to add a print queue to LPD at
the command line.  I am using KDE and printing from applications so
command line activity is even more new to me.

Any help appreciated.

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)
Some more  specification of my laptop: 1000mhz Celeron, 256MB RAM, 20GB
HDD, I dual boot using LILO, between Windows 98SE and Mandrake.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Meet Singles
http://corp.mail.com/lavalife