[SWLUG] Getting NTL broadband to work

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 14:54:27 UTC 2002

Can anyone help? I already have NTL Broadband working with Windoze. I know
want to get it working with a proper operating system.  :-)
I have installed my network card.  It seems to be working in that both
Operating systems have detected its presence.

I have been into linuxconf to set up eth0 to be DHCP.

This is where one problem could occur
What kernel modules hould I have set?
 I have it set to ne  which is for ne2000 and clones it says. ( I don't
really know what it means but I got this off an on-line help guide someone
put together.)

My cable modem is a silver grey model with no makers name just NTL:home
Broadband Internet on the front. and the NTL:home logo is ligher silver on
top.

on telling linxux conf to act on the changes I get

The following command told me somehting had to be done
/etc/rc3.f.S10network probe

Executing: /etc/rc3.d/S10network reload

Service lpd is not running

Executing:  /etc/ec3.d/S60lpd start

I click on Do it

and get the same message when trying to quit Linuxconf

After this greping a ps -ax for lps
gives nothing.

Can anyone help?

What do I need to do next?

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog