[swlug] My attic based computer

Tim Bonnell Tim.Bonnell at CarringtonWire.com
Thu Jan 17 10:17:13 UTC 2002

Resplendid with my recent sucess at getting my Linux box re-configured to do
IP Masquerading, and therefore allow sharing of my modem link to all (ok the
one other) PCs at home, I now want to be a little more thorough.

My main achievement was to re-compile a new 2.4.14 kernel , but now I'd like
to tailor that kernel further to make it as compact as possible, so what I'd
like to know is:

How do I know which modules withn the kernel are actually being used. I dont
mean dunamic statistics, just which of the ethernet modules is being used,
which graphics card module etc. so that I can exclude all others from my
next compile.

My 'attic server' (and again I nust own up that its really in my TV room,
but I'd like it to move closer to heaven one day) is currently a Pention 120
with 128Mb memory, so I need to squeeze the best performance that I can out
of it.

Regards,	Tim

P.S. What happend to the old mailing list and web site? Have I missed a coup
or something?

| Tim.Bonnell at CarringtonWire.com                 |
| IT Manager - Carrington Wire Cardiff           |
| PO Box 56, Pengam Works, Cardiff CF24 2WR      |
| Tel:+44(0) 29 20256100 Fax:+44(0) 29 20256101  |
| www.CarringtonWire.com                         |