[SWLUG] domain names, email etc.

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Wed Jan 30 08:56:34 UTC 2002

On 29 Jan, bascule wrote:
> i signed up for a domain name about a year ago, i don't use it, i just
> thought i'd get it while i could for the future as it was cheap, and yes it
> is in my name, the question is, the people who i went through charge £19 to
> 'move' it somewhere else, what exactly would i be paying for here?
The actual moving process is pretty trivial, even done by hand it wont
take someone more than 5 minutes.
The charge is really just profit, and trying to keep you tied to their
services.

> if i let
> the domain lapse and reapplied on the next day through someone else i assume
> i would avoid this charge? is the charge for paperwork that could
> theoretically be done by me for free?
Domains dont reliably lapse like that, there are supposed to be time
limits on it, but i believe that in practice that still doesnt happen,
it could be months or years until it properly lapses and can be
registered again.