[SWLUG] Copying content of a term

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue Jul 16 09:38:37 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 19:55, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> For the first time I want to copy the content of the terminal window so as paste it into a text file, but I find I cannot copy it.  I highlight it and have tried Ctl + C and then topaste.  I have also tried a right click but no copy option appears.  I am sure this can be done.
>
> I have tried man pages but not been able to find anything on the subject

This is a feature of X windows in general, and applies to just about
every text box in every program.

Select the text you want to copy using the left button,
make sure the destination window has focus,
then press the middle button to paste ( both together if you only have a
2 button mouse and have emulate3buttons enabled )

There is no 'copy' or 'cut' action per-se, its automatic, and there are
no default keyboard shortcuts for this.

Giving the focus to the destination window can be tricky, if you are
using the (awful) ms-windows style click-to-focus then you might
accidentally cancel the selection, so watch it. if you use
focus-follows-mouse or sloppy-focus mode you will have less problems, as
no mouse click is required.