[SWLUG] file system choices

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Wed Jul 31 22:12:21 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 21:57, Steve Marvell wrote:

> Esteemed South West Linux dudes[1], I have two questions related to
> Winblows files system compatibility which I could do with some advice
> on.

I can't help with most of your questions but:

> 2) sharing on a dual boot
>
> 2) He needs to effectively share large chunks of mp3, photo and web
>    site data between Windows and Linux without having to use root to
>    write to any mutual partition.
>
> So, assuming he's going to carve up the disk into:
>
>  Linux
>  Windows
>  Data
>
> What file system should be on the Data partition?

fat.  Create it with Windows fdisk (as well as the Windows partition itself)
'cos Win doesn't always recognise partitions made by Linux, even if they are
properly labelled as fat.  Then in /etc/fstab include umask=??? in the
options.  When the partition is mounted all the files will appear to have uid
and gid of root, so either put his username in the root group and give group
permissions in the umask (say 002) or give all users full permisions
(umask=000).  The files will all have the permissions given by the umask.

It might seem OK to put the data on the same partition as Windows, but that's
NOT recommended, 'cos it's traditional to keep reinstalling Windows and the
data is a bit safer on a separate partition.

Edward