[SWLUG] Matrox dual-head

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Mar 22 18:50:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 09:24:20AM +0000 or thereabouts, G Watkins wrote:
> Does anybody out there have dual displays working on a Red-Hat-type
> system using a Matrox MGA450 or MGA550?

I've had dualhead on a RH box before, yes, but not with that.

> And a more basic question:
> How can I stop the X-server repeatedly trying to start itself on
> boot-up? (I looked for a likely process to kill but couldn't see one.)
> Where (apart from one screen I saw when I first installed RH71) is the
> configuration of whether to start in text or graphic mode?

Lots of answers here. Mostly RH-specific. Even the final answer is
RH-specific in that some distros have different numbers/what they
do for the runlevels.

	(a) If you have linuxconf (which runs in X and in text mode)
    it's an option in there.
	(b) re-run Xconfigurator and the final question is "Start X on
    boot?" or something like that. Say no :)
	(c) edit /etc/inittab. I don't have the X server starting
    on boot. My inittab looks like this.

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

Editing inittab is of course what linuxconf and Xconfigurator do.
I suspect there's another way of turning it off via Nautilus, but
of course if X is dying, you won't get far trying that.

Telsa