[SWLUG] Box stats

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri May 24 12:44:34 UTC 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 01:11:45PM +0100 or thereabouts, Neil Jones wrote:

> This seems  a simple question but I can''t find an answer. How do I find how
> much of a hard disk is used up and how big it is?

This is not quite the answer, but df tells you your filesystem
usage. df -h and df -H tell you different human-readable versions
(ie, in gigs and stuff, not bytes).

I suspect poking around in /proc might tell you what the system
knows about the hardware. I know it's the answer to the next bit:

> Secondly is there anyway of finding the processor type and speed?

cat /proc/cpuinfo

I always forget why, but I think you should use 'cat' rather than
'more' on files in /proc. I think "cat /proc/verylongfile | more"
is allowed, though :)

If you are running GNOME, you might find a menu item about
Programs -> System -> Hardware Browser; or Programs -> System ->
something-else-I-have-now lost. I presume KDE has the same.

(This is, I think, distro- dependent: this is RH 7.3)

Telsa