[SWLUG] New member saying hello

Neil Jones linlist2 at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri May 24 13:11:08 UTC 2002

CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> > By the way, where is The Goose
>
> Dick sent a great ASCII map months ago which we should resurrect.
> It had "too far" as one of the locations, which is why I liked it :)
>
> The Goose is on Wind Street, the continuation of High Street,
> where the council is "encouraging" cafe-culture in its own
> inimitable way.
>
> From Castle Square, have the fountain and the leaf thing at your
> back and the castle and the BT monstrosity in front of you. Turn
> right and you're on Wind Street and the Goose is down there on
> your left.
>
> Telsa

Here it is.

I archive everything so here is Dick's original posting.

This time we decided to have a change of venue, and did some testing of
the pubs in the town centre.

We picked The Goose on Wind Street.  It does proper beer, and reasonable
food (the veggie selection seems a big bigger than the Pub on the Pond
too).

Directions:

			|   |   Station
		      __|   |_______
		      __  | .--------
			| | |
			| V |
	    High Street   .
			  .
			|   | Argos
		    ____|   |__
		    ____  |  __
			| | |
   <-- Bus Station	| V |
__________|  |__________|   | Castle
__________   .__________    |
	  |  |  	| | |
McNasty ->|  |		| | |
			| V |
  Leaf/boat fountain -> |   |
			|   |
			| | |  Wind street
			| | |
			| `>| <-- The Goose
			|   |
	Car park ->	|   |
			|   |
		| |     |   | <-- Too far
	________| |_____|   |_________________
		     Main Road
	_____________________________________

Come out of the train station, and take the road directly in front of
the main door (_not_ the one leading to a large traffic lights junction
on the right).

Follow this road straight into the town centre, past argos and up to the
castle.  Keep going straight on to Wind Street.  The Goose is about a
third of the way down, on your left.  If you take any turnings, you've
gone the wrong way.

Theres a car park on the right hand side of Wind Street, at the bottom,
but a car driver will have to give directions for driving to it through
the one-way system.

- Dick

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.butterflyguy.com/