[SWLUG] problems with ppp dial up internet access.

Gavin Burnett gburnett at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 20:46:53 UTC 2002

Hello all. I am hoping for some insight into a problem I have got stuck on
recently.

My computer uses a modem to dial up to an ISP for ppp based internet access.
This has been working very well, but recently it stopped working for no
apparent reason.  The ppp support in the kernel works ok, the modem works
ok, I have tried a different ISP with no effect,
and I know that the dialling scripts are sound. I have eliminated everything
else, apart from this in the messages file after a dialout has failed.

Nov  3 15:27:53 comp-linux insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/ppp.o: insmod
ppp0 failed

trying to do an insmod on this module produces the following:

insmod /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.o
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.o: couldn't find the kernel version the
module was compiled for

and doing a depmod produces the following:

depmod /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.o
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.o:

# module             vendor     device     subvendor  subdevice  class
class_mask driver_data

I am running kernel version 2.2.16-22, and this is the only version I have
installed.

Is there a way to rectify this problem?

Gavin.
Gavin K Burnett