[SWLUG] Intro

Carter N. N.Carter at Swansea.ac.uk
Tue Nov 12 15:33:39 UTC 2002

Hello all,

My first post to this list...

Not sure if intro's are the norm, but I think they're friendly :-)

I'm the IT supremo ;-) for Swansea Uni's Microsoft-based Psychology dept
(yes, Telsa, I'm big friends with Ann). I do network and desktop support,
and low-level programming for experiments. My interests are mostly system
programming and scripting. Sadly, my interest exceeds my ability!

Started on a TRS-80 in 1981, got sidetracked into communications engineering
for years, then started this job. Started on Unix with the Pyramid mainframe
in 1992, and liked its command-line power. Recently finished my MSc project
using QNX (real-time Unix) to time user interactions with a GUI.

I'm not platform-religious. I use QNX, Linux, DOS, and Windows, whichever
suits the particular task. I give credit and criticism where they're due.

My claim to Linux fame is sitting on the same bus as Alan on our way to the
Uni, and wondering if this was the guy I had heard about!

Best wishes,

Neil
Neil Carter            Psychology Department
IT Technician    University of Wales Swansea
                       Wales, United Kingdom

http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/staff/Carter/