[SWLUG] Reverse DNS lookup problem

Ash Whitney ash at wiredupwales.com
Thu Nov 14 18:47:35 UTC 2002

My friend Neil Carter was at your meeting in Swansea this week, and asked
about reverse-DNS on my behalf. I thought I'd join your mailing list and ask
some further questions in the hope that someone would be kind enough to
advise me.

I co-own a Red Hat Linux 6.2 server, and reverse DNS lookups on the server
are failing (forward DNS lookups are ok). Consequently, some mail is being
bounced back to me. Being a Linux virgin it's difficult for me to resolve
this issue, especially given the lack of support I get from the server's
administrators - Farcehosts in Gloucester.

Neil mentioned that some of you had kindly helped by pointing out that
Fasthosts, rather than myself, were responsible for our server's reverse DNS
entry. I put this to Fasthosts, and was told that they had done this. I then
asked if they could advise on resolving the problem, and was given a
categoric 'NO'.

Can anyone point me toward a specific file/s that need configuring for
reverse DNS lookups to be performed on our server. So far, I've only found a
file called named.conf.

The first few lines of this particular file are:

// NS1 = "ns1.wiredupwales.com." Do not delete this line
// NS2 = "ns2.wiredupwales.com." Do not delete this line
options {
directory "/etc/named";
};
zone "." { type hint; file "soa.root"; };
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" { type master; file
"soa.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa";};
zone "wiredupwales.com" { type master; file "named.wiredupwales.com"; };
zone "gowerlinks.com" { type master; file "named.gowerlinks.com"; };

Should line 7 contain our real IP address, rather than a reference to
localhost?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards to all

Ash Whitney